Moonshot Games is a new studio based in Irvine, California. We love games and believe in their unique superpower to create personal, unforgettable stories that bring friends and the community closer together. We are building a culture of shared ownership where everyone gets a chance to weigh in and help set direction for the game. Our studio is in its early days, which means there’s tons of opportunity to have a big impact on what we are making as well as in the overall direction of the company. Most importantly, we know our games will be at their best when a variety of voices, identities and perspectives go into their creation, so come join us!
Moonshot is looking for a talented and passionate concept artist! From the open expanse of epic environments to details found in the everyday, you will help us define a visual “voice” for our first game.
You will work alongside our art director to create visual concepts and illustrations that broaden our understanding of the worlds we are creating. As a creative problem solver for the visual exploration posed to a studio in its early days, your voice will be pivotal. Your perspective will shape both our day to day work alongside designers and artists in a highly collaborative environment, and will also help define culture and direction for the studio as a whole.
- Generate ideas and sketches of environments, props, characters and creatures
- Convey story, tone, and style
- Research and collect visual material to define and improve the style and content of the game
- Consider gameplay intent of a design and enhance its expression though concept art creation
- Provide painting support for in-game textures and UI art
- Contribute to studio direction
Required Skills & Experience
- Strong illustration and storytelling skills with an eye for perspective, color, lighting, mood and composition
- Good sense of form, shape, silhouette, scale and surface detail
- Ability to rapidly generate ideas and iterate upon them
- Skilled in conducting research and using reference material to support idea generation and problem solving
- Good interpersonal communication skills – able to help others and ask for help when needed
- Ability to work effectively in a highly collaborative and evolving environment
- Love of video games, movies, and animation, and for deconstructing them to see how they originated
- Working knowledge 3D art techniques & software packages such as Maya, Max, Zbrush, or Mudbox
- Strong vocabulary based in the traditional/visual arts including but not limited to painting, sculpture, figure drawing, or illustration
Moonshot Games is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate and welcome diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment.