Moonshot Games is a new studio based in Irvine, California. We love games and believe in their unique superpower to create personal, unforgettable stories that bring friends and the community closer together. We are building a culture of shared ownership where everyone gets a chance to weigh in and help set direction for the game. Our studio is in its early days, which means there’s tons of opportunity to have a big impact on what we are making as well as in the overall direction of the company. Most importantly, we know our games will be at their best when a variety of voices, identities and perspectives go into their creation, so come join us!
As a Gameplay Engineer at Moonshot you will work directly with designers and artists to deliver gameplay mechanics and designer-friendly game systems. You’ll work on a little bit of everything: character and vehicle movement, animation, AI, combat and wherever else our combined imagination takes us. Every day you’ll contribute to the design of our game in ways both big and small. You’ll participate in design discussions, give and receive feedback, and help advocate for simplicity within a passionate, cross-discipline team.
- Partner with designers and other engineers to design and implement gameplay features and systems
- Contribute ideas to help explore game concepts across the development process
- Implement networked gameplay features, mechanics and systems in C++ and Unreal Blueprint
- Empower game designers through rapid prototyping and iteration with the goal of creating compelling gameplay
- Write clear, maintainable and high-performance gameplay code
Required Skills & Experience
- Demonstrable capability in mathematics, particularly linear algebra and trigonometry
- Proficiency in C/C++ and experience with game scripting languages
- Experience with the design and implementation of various game systems, including networked game simulation, scripting, character movement, combat, AI, navigation/pathfinding or animation
- Experience and understanding of a client/server networked game simulation
- Relevant gameplay development experience with Unreal Engine 4
- Strong critical thinking and problem solving skills
- Must be a strong collaborator with solid interpersonal skills
- Experience developing action games with a first-person perspective
- Familiarity with visual scripting languages other than Blueprint or Kismet
- Prior shipped game titles in a Gameplay Engineering or related role
- Experience with console game development (Xbox, PlayStation, Switch, etc)
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, physics, mathematics or a related field, or equivalent self-directed study
Moonshot Games is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate and welcome diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment.