Technical Operations and IT Manager
Dreamhaven is a gaming company on a mission to help improve the games industry both for players and for developers. If you are passionate about creating reliable and secure experiences for players and enjoy partnering with creative developers to deliver these experiences around the world - this opportunity is for you! This role is on our central publishing team, perfectly positioned to help our central team and two internal studios, while also engaging with our external partnerships.
We are a cloud-native company with a small physical foot-print in Irvine, California, and as the TechOps and IT Manager you will help build and maintain our cloud infrastructure, which houses our game backend, source control, and production environments. Responsibilities include monitoring, alerting, response, security, and release management for the games that Dreamhaven publishes. In addition you will help set the strategy for how to effectively serve the IT needs for Dreamhaven off the cloud, including our internal studios Moonshot and Secret Door.
You will report to the Director of Operations on the central publishing team, which is composed of central engineering, data, marketing, product, and operations. At Dreamhaven, we want each player to feel that our games are operated and maintained with the utmost respect for their investment and time into our games.
If you share this vision of respect for our players–we’d love to hear from you!
What you’ll do
- Establish our TechOps and IT strategy and processes as part of our central publishing team
- Stakeholder in defining best practices and standards for release management with specific input around access, security, and risk management
- Establish monitoring, alerting, and logging for our various games, services and equipment
- In conjunction with our technology partners, provide incident handling for games, services, and equipment for our internal studios
- Create cohesive security strategy and requirements for both on-cloud and off-cloud systems and equipment, covering a wide range of potential attack vectors (e.g. access control, asset tracking, security audits, software patches, credential managements, etc.)
- Source, onboard, and maintain relationships with external operational partners
- Partner with the central engineering team to build or buy amazing tools that increase our quality and speed
- Manage all IT operations across regions, and in a hybrid work environment that includes both company provisioned and personal devices for a growing 50-100 person company
- Provide strategy and implementation to help resolve scaling and stability issues
- Work with external IT partners to design, install, and maintain small and large scale on-prem or cloud IT projects
- Advocate for best practices in technical operations and IT at both the development and production levels, both on and off cloud
- Collaborate with stakeholders to ensure business requirements for each game and desired territory launches are met
- Help to define growth for the operations team as our company grows
What we need
- Technical or network operations experience on a global, live service multi-platform game
- Significant Experience with cloud solutions (Google Workspace, AWS)
- Experience making on-prem vs. private cloud vs. public cloud deployment decisions
- Experience with one or more source control systems (Perforce, GitHub)
- Experience with one or more Infrastructure as Code pattern and solutions (GitLab, Terraform, CloudFormation, GitHub Actions, etc.)
- Experience with one or more API/cloud/security and CDN solutions (Cloudfare, Akamai, Cloudfront, etc.)
- Experience establishing software security governance for both on and off cloud infrastructure, conducting security audits with software security partners.
- Familiarity with technologies including virtualization, containerization, scaling (KVM, Docker, etc.)
- Basic proficiency with light automation and scripting
- IT experience at a game development studio - Ideally in a leadership capacity managing small and large scale projects
- Knowledge of game dev tools - console devkits, Perforce, Autodesk, Adobe Creative Cloud, etc.
- Relationship management - experience building and maintaining external partnerships
- Self-motivated with experience working independently
Who you are
- You are a cloud-native and are a subject matter expert in selecting, deploying, and securing cloud technologies for both consumer and corporate use
- You are a rock in the whirlwind of live service games, providing stability, problem solving, and a decisive path forward during challenging times
- You deeply respect our players’ and our developers' time
- You care about the quality of your work and the players you are creating this game for
- You are results oriented and enjoy creating processes when they increase efficiency
- You are decisive and are ok with failing
- You are transparent with your work and comfortable having others involved early
- You are able to work collaboratively with others, contributing ideas and suggestions that are not solely owned by you
- You have strong viewpoints but loosely held, you bring a distinct point of view but are open to being persuaded by others’ ideas just as easily as your own
- You play video games or are interested in starting (all PC, console, or mobile experience counts!)
Dreamhaven is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate and welcome diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment.
The base salary range for this position is $126,465 to $210,774 USD per year, which is associated with our level 4 salary band. The range listed for this position is just one component of Dreamhaven’s total compensation package for team members and exact compensation may vary based on skills and experience. Total compensation also includes equity, comprehensive benefits and will also include profit sharing in the future.