VFX Art Intern, Moonshot Games
Hey there! Moonshot is looking for a VFX Intern!
Moonshot Games is a new studio based in Irvine, California. We love games and believe in their unique superpower to create personal, unforgettable stories that bring friends and the community closer together. We are building a culture of shared ownership where everyone gets a chance to weigh in and help set direction for the game. Our studio is in its early days, which means there’s tons of opportunity to have a big impact on what we are making as well as in the overall direction of the company. Most importantly, we know our games will be at their best when a variety of voices, identities and perspectives go into their creation, so come join us!
What You’ll Do
As a VFX Intern, you’ll work with our VFX team as well as design, audio, art, and other disciplines to learn more about designing and creating game-ready VFX, and help us build a wide variety of stylized VFX that create clear, satisfying gameplay and bring life, magic, and charm to our world and its inhabitants. This is a learning position, and we want to set you up to learn as much as possible through mentorship, insight into the development process, and creating VFX with a strong grounding in good gameplay and artistic fundamentals. We also want to help you gain experience and give you work you can be proud of, so you’ll also be a contributing member of the team while you’re here, making VFX that end up in our game.
What We Need:
- Ability to create VFX in a game engine such as Unreal or Unity, OR the ability to create VFX using 2D animation, pre-rendered simulations, etc. and an interest in learning in-engine VFX creation.
- Active interest in integrating gameplay values such as visual clarity, game feel, responsiveness, and staging into your VFX.
- Familiarity with artistic fundamentals such as color theory, shape language, animation basics, and/or composition.
- Basic texture creation abilities (hand-painted or generated, either's fine).
- Eager to improve communication and collaboration skills across many departments.
Who You Are:
- Passionate about video games and game development.
- Excited about the role of VFX in-game as both a design and art element.
- Love puzzle-solving, but with sparkles.
- Enjoy being part of a team, with a desire to work with and support other content developers.
- Portfolio demonstrating relevant abilities
- Optional: A short (2-3 paragraph) cover letter answering the following questions:
- What are you most excited for in game development?
- Which game has your favorite VFX of all time and what makes them your favorite?
Moonshot is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate and welcome diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment.